Monday, December 04, 2006

Jewels from Janine?

Our good pal, Janine Lehman (she remains a good friend even after Oklahoma dismantled Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship the other night), sends along the following notice that, like other visitors to The Book Den, she's carefully aware of just what the Notting Hill Napoleons are up to. I beg to remind her, however, that I do not vouch for everything that makes the final NHN rota. Goodness no. After all, my general rule is to vote against any book written after I was born!

Anyhow, here's Janine's memo, complete with some recommendations of her own:

I am keeping the list of books for NHN reading and will TRY to keep up. The only one I have read is Jane Eyre but look forward to reading her again. I really like Jane Austen and Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey.

One of my favorite books over the past several years is The Seamstress: A Memoir of Survival by Sara Tuvel Bernstein. It is a true story of a young Romanian Jewish girl who ends up in the hands of the Nazis during WW II.

I am also stuck on Ted Dekker whose novels are "different". My favorite so far has been the trilogy Black, Red, White. He also wrote a book with Frank Peretti, The House.

Must go. Love you and miss you, Janine