Saturday, November 11, 2023

The Incomparable Charles Dickens

I finished my latest Charles Dickens novel last night -- a rereading of one of his longest and, in other ways too, an especially challenging book, Bleak House. But was I wowed once again? Most certainly. Remarkable characters. Captivating plot. The keenest and ever-relevant observations of human nature. And writing skills that are truly unmatched. 

Even amid the corruptive injustice of Jarndyce and Jarndyce (the complex court case which pervades the pages of the novel), I found my journey through Bleak House immensely rewarding.

And how do you follow Dickens? Well, you certainly don’t go to another novel, that’s for sure. So, I’ve opted instead for a re-reading of an inspiring, thoroughly enjoyable book of history, Laura Hillebrand’s classic, Seabiscuit.