Wednesday, May 05, 2021

A Lot of 4-Star Reading Here

There have been some really wonderful reads in the last few weeks (my last reading review was posted March 18) with several that I can unreservedly recommend to others. And that, of course, is a major reason I present these lists here on The Book Den.

* First off, let me suggest that Calvin Miller's 175-page The Philippian Fragment (published by IVP in 1982) is quite effective in comedic punch as well as spiritual challenge. Purporting to be a recently discovered manuscript from the early church, Miller uses it to pass along witty and wise counsel about both an individual Christian's sanctification and the life of a local congregation. (It is a re-read which I appreciated a lot more this time around. I'll give it 3.5 out of 4 stars.)

* 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne is a classic that I first read (in an abridged version) as a lad and I still love it. Yes, Verne can be a bit tedious in his detailed descriptions of flora, fauna, geography, and scientific processes but it remains an exciting and worthwhile read. (Re-read. 3 stars.)

* Dr. Dwight Pentecost's Design for Discipleship (1971) came out of sermons he preached at Grace Bible Church in Dallas where he pastored (as well as serving as a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary). It is an excellent study of the topic: well-presented, enlightening, convicting, helpful. (Re-read. 4 stars.)

* Churchill by Paul Johnson is a superb short biography of one of the most interesting, brilliant, and influential men in modern history. And, coming from Paul Johnson, you know that the argument and writing style are going to be first rate. (A new read. 4 stars.)

* The Man in White is a novel written by none other than American music legend Johnny Cash. I wrote a bit about the book in this post. (Re-read. 4 stars.)

* In 1912 Henry Gilbert created the first modern retelling of the noble medieval hero, Robin Hood. It is a rather lengthy book -- which is terrific for I love every thrilling, endearing, inspiring chapter. I have since I was a kid. (Re-read. 4 stars.)

* Along the way in March and April were three "mere entertainment" novels, all of which were wonderful for what they were. I'd give them all three stars as mystery/adventure novels: The Crime at Halfpenny Bridge by George Bellairs; The Dutch Shoe Mystery by Ellery Queen; and When Eight Bells Toll by one of my favorites for literature of this genre, Alistair MacLean. (Of these, only the MacLean book was a re-read.)

* Certainly the most important book from these past weeks would be Heaven by Randy Alcorn. Indeed, that would be true of any of the several times I've read it. It is easily the book both Claire and I most recommended to others. This time around we even hosted a Saturday Brunch discussion here at our home where we were joined by 15 guests to discuss Heaven. And, yes; we had a lovely time. (Re-read. 4 stars plus.)

* And finally, another book from my "Resisting the Thugs of the Cancel Culture" reading list was Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. It is a gem. (Re-read. 4 stars.)