Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Quarantine Prescription: Take Two Books & Read Them Until Morning

There's been a lot of reading going on around here since my last catch up post -- even more than usual. The reason, of course, is the "Great Hunkering Down" has forced us all in these last 6 weeks to curtail activities that might otherwise require our attention.

And reading is always a preferable experience to television binges, computer solitaire, or yet another nap after a heavy snack.

In the mix these weeks have been a lot of adventure reads that I obtained for free on Kindle's Prime Reading list or through the Omaha Public Library's Overdrive program. Pretty nifty opportunities. Among those were The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides;  The Guns of Navarone and Force 10 From Navarone by Alistair MacLean; Solo by Jack Higgins; The Kill List by Frederick Forsyth; Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian; and a dozen or so from more recent novelists whose names I had never heard of...and whose names I need never remember! Indeed, the only books among the above that I found of genuine quality were the MacLean novels -- both rereads, by the way, from maybe 3 decades ago.

That brings me to the really good stuff, the books I found excellent and fully deserving of my recommendation. They were True Spirituality by Francis Schaeffer; Jesus On Trial by David Limbaugh; The King's General by Daphne du Maurier; and the next two in my journey through Jan Karon's delightful and inspiring Mitford series, Home to Holly Springs and In the Company of Others.

Read on!