Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Mystery Writer Dorothy Sayers Explores Theology

In the “Panera portion” of my yesterday morning (with Dick Wilson, my regular Tuesday companion being out of town at a conference), I finished reading Dorothy Sayers’ Creed or Chaos, a collection of remarkable essays that had been collected from the war years (mainly) and published in 1949. The essays deal with timeless issues: theological orthodoxy, the priority of biblical revelation, work, creativity and art, morality, economics, and justice. They are all profoundly important and all written in Sayers’ unique and persuasive style. 

I could not recommend this small but weighty book (only about 100 pages) more highly. I would further recommend that you read it with friends for it will make for a most enlightening and helpful conversation.

And…if you would like to invite Claire and I into that conversation, we would be delighted!