Monday, December 15, 2008

Another Side of Christmas

Christmas is a holiday which certainly evokes fond memories and the most lovely and endearing of sentiments. But not for all. For some it can prompt, as this poem by Nicholas Gordon movingly describes, intense feelings of sorrow (perhaps even bitterness) for what one has lost.

"No Christmas for My Children"
by Nicholas Gordon

No Christmas for my children,
No husband for my bed,
No money for tomorrow,
No place to lay my head,
No tree with mounds of presents,
No ornaments or lights,
No smiles on Christmas morning,
No feast on Christmas night,

No toys to ease the boredom
Of hours before closed doors,
No family celebrations,
No trips to crowded stores,

No fireplace, no Santa,
No games aglow with friends,
No fire but feeble fury
As Christmas slowly ends.

For me I have no pity,
My sorrow stronger proves,
Because for my sweet children
I've nothing but my love.

This poem is a strong reminder that this season of delight and goodwill isn't experienced as such by everyone. Therefore, our Christmas felicitations should be extended far beyond those who come to fellowship at our own Yuletide fires. Indeed, we should make special efforts to spread Christmas cheer with the elderly and "long term lonely" in our community, those who might be feeling, in Gordon's words, "no fire but feeble fury."