Friday, July 06, 2007

Sherry's Got a Reading Challenge

Sherry over at the book blog, Semicolon, has a reading challenge for us. It's simple, straightforward, and very do-able. Just scan the wide-ranging list of books that have made her Saturday Review feature and pick six of them to read (one a month).

Sherry then asks you to spread the stimulation around a bit:

Please link your reviews at the Saturday Review of Books as you complete the challenge.


One more thing, as you choose your books leave a comment at the site of each book’s reviewer saying something like, “Thanks for the review. I’m going to read this book for the Saturday Review Challenge at Semicolon because you recommended it.” Won’t that be encouraging for everyone involved!


Like I said, it's a nice challenge and one that shouldn't be too much for the avid and able readers that frequent this site, right? Right.

I've already signed in with a response somewhat like the lines I print below:

Sherry,

Count me in. However, I'm not yet sure which of the 6 I'll eventually end up reading. At my age (I turned 56 just yesterday), I no longer feel compelled to finish reading books that I find disappointing after the first few pages or so. Therefore, I'll give you these 12 and promise that I'll be accountable for at least 6 as well as the appropriate postings:


All the King’s Men
by Robert Penn Warren; Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (This is already on the "Next Up" pile.); Captain Alariste by Arturo Perez-Reverte; The Collectors by David Baldacci; The Course of Human Events by David McCullough; C.S. Lewis in a Time of War by Justin Phillips; Excellent Women by Barbara Pym; The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells; Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. (I've got to read this one anyway. It made the Notting Hill Napoleon list for September, I think.); On the Beach by Nevil Shute; Persuasion by Jane Austen; War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (A re-read but it's been too many years.).

Thanks for making the challenge.


Denny