Thursday, May 05, 2005

Everything I Needed to Know I Learned from...Sherlock Holmes! -- Volume 4

Let's see, Volume 4 of this series makes it a "Top Forty" of sage conclusions about life spoken by the great Baker Street detective. I think that will be plenty. So here is the last installment. I hope they will complete the encouragement for you to go back and read the Holmes stories yourself. After all, the game is always afoot!

1. "Crime is common. Logic is rare."

2. "Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it."

3."It is fortunate for this community that I am not a criminal."

4. "As a rule, the more bizarre a thing is the less mysterious it proves to be."

5. "Woman's heart and mind are insoluble puzzles to the male."

6. "We can but try - the motto of the firm."

7. "Idleness exhausts me completely."

8. "An Eley's No. 2 [pistol] is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots."

9. "There are always some lunatics about."

10. "These are much deeper waters than I had thought."