Friday, September 29, 2017

Catching Up on My Reading

Before we head out to Branson for a couple of weeks -- momentous days that will include a 4-day family reunion with all my siblings and their spouses as well as a working vacation for Claire and I afterwards, I thought I’d clear the decks here at The Book Den with a quick review of books read since my last catch up post (August 10). I do so with pleasure because there were several that I recommend.

The first on the list is one of those very old mysteries that I love to download from Kindle. And I love to download them because 1) I love reading old books. 2) Many of these old books are out of print and otherwise unobtainable. And 3) Many of these Kindle editions are completely free! Can’t beat that. In this latest case, the old book was actually an early 20th century collection of short stories by British writer Thomas W. Hanshew entitled Cleek, The Master Detective.  Great stuff. (Recommended.)

Next up was A Light in the Window, Jan Karon’s second book in the Mitford series of novels that Claire loves so much. I’m beginning to love these books too. In fact, I hope to read another (or two) down in Branson. (Highly recommended.)

I went on a bit of a Shakespeare run in August and early September with six of the Bard’s great plays: “Antony & Cleopatra,” “Measure for Measure,” “Julius Caesar,” and then all three plays in the “Henry VI” trilogy.  This is truly superb literature from one of the most original, most insightful, and most skilled of writers. (Highly recommended.)

A theological work of value was Jeremiah: Prophet of Judgment by Irving L. Jensen.

I enjoyed (for the most part) a free Kindle book of poetry dealing primarily with domestic life from Christopher Morley. It was called Chimneysmoke.

I re-read and, in some cases, listened to an audio rendition of the G.K. Chesterton short stories, The Innocence of Fr. Brown. (Recommended.)

I thrilled my way through two rousing G.A. Henry adventure novels: Held Fast For England: A Tale of the Siege of Gibraltar and St. George for England. (Recommended, especially the first title.)

In anticipation of meeting Shun Lee Fong, I read his book of short essays, The Saints & the Poets. I enjoyed it very much. Indeed, here’s what I wrote in an Amazon review of his book: The Saints and the Poets is an engaging collection of short, charmingly personal, and ultimately inspiring essays. Fong writes as an artist to artists and yet the life lessons he presents can be easily understood and practically embraced by any reader. Those lessons deal with such topics as creativity, vision, relationships, responsibility, and faith. All relevant matters certainly. And, along the way, there is humility, wit, humor, and sage advice. I'm pretty sure other readers will respond to The Saints and the Poets as I did; namely, to hope Mr. Fong soon follows with a second volume. (Obviously, I recommend it.)

And finally, our September selection for the Notting Hill Napoleons was The Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara, a detailed historical novel of one of the key campaigns in the Korean War. Fascinating, gripping, maddening, and very somber reading but quite worth the effort. (Recommended.)