Tuesday, August 02, 2016
A Little Light Reading
I lightened up then in these last few weeks with the following.
* The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne. That’s right, the author of the Winnie the Pooh books wrote other stuff, including this pleasant-enough page turner. I had long heard of it but had never read it. I'm pleased I did. 3 stars.
* The Black Arrow by Robert Lewis Stevenson. Not Stevenson’s best but still a very nice adventure story that I re-read every few years. 4 stars.
* The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart. This thriller from earlier days was a bit overworked. 3 stars.
* Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse. I had read a few Jeeves stories many moons ago but this was my first Wodehouse novel. I liked it very much. 4 stars.
* Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier. A classic example of psychological suspense, the novel is compelling and exquisitely crafted...even though the characters are anything but strong or principled, let alone heroic. This was maybe my third time round with this book and I liked it as much as ever. 5 stars.