Monday, April 27, 2015

What Has Harold Been Reading?

It's no surprise that our old friend Harold Berry, former Bible instructor at Grace University, author of several books, and longtime writer for Back to the Bible, is a reader of the first rank. And he occasionally drops into his newsletter a few quick reviews of what he's been reading.

Because Harold is one of those people I trust and admire, I find these book lists of great interest. And I think some of you might too.

I asked Harold permission to post his latest.

Books read since December 2014:

1) Documents of Democracy: The Bill of Rights by Stephen Krensky (Marshall Cavendish, 2012)

2)  George Washington’s Secret Six; The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger (Penguin, 2013

3) Tried to read Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II’s Most Audacious General by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard (Henry Holt & Company, 2014).  I read the front matter and 14 pages of the book. It has obscene language that I don’t want to think about. I used this kind of language growing up and it was one of the most difficult habits to overcome when I wanted to honor Christ in my life. The same experience occurred earlier when I tried to read Killing Kennedy. There was so much sex in it I didn’t want that in my head.

4) Epicenter: Why the Current Rumblings in the Middle East Will Change your Future by Joel C. Rosenberg (Tyndale, 2006). I had read this before but was pleased when our daughter and son-in-law gave it to me for Christmas. I realized I needed to read it again. His previous novels have turned out to be so realistic that some thought he was connected to secret government sources. He explains in this book how his thinking was developed by studying Ezekiel 38-39.

5) Progressive Dispensationalism by Craig A. Blaising and Darrell L. Bock (Baker Books, paperback 1993, seven years after the initial publication). I’ve also had personal contact with Darrell Bock who believes strongly in the imminency of Christ’s return (that He can come at any moment) at the pretribulation Rapture and believes Christ will return to earth at the end of the Tribulation to reign a 1000 years. My opinion is that he is more in line with the doctrinal statements of Dallas Theological Seminary, Grace University, and Back to the Bible than some of those criticizing him.

6) The Faith of Ronald Reagan by Mary Beth Brown (Thomas Nelson, 2011). A great, uplifting read, telling of the deep Christian faith of Ronald Reagan that was greatly influenced by his mother.

7) Trusting God: Learning to Walk by Faith by Dr. David R. Reagan (Lamb & Lion Ministries, 2015). Great read to learn how God led the author from an academic career running from God to a ministry of preaching Christ in Prophecy that we have supported for several years.

8) The Indwelling Life of Christ: All of Him and All of Me by Major W. Ian Thomas (Multnomah Books, 2006). Excellent emphasis on “Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Col. 1:27). To my surprise, I found a reference to the minister who discipled me when I was 17 years old.