Friday, March 28, 2014

What Have I Been Into?

Books, that is.

My reading interests are always eclectic (some might even say, eccentric) but I have a feeling most avid readers understand completely. To demonstrate, I give you my book list from the last few months...leaving out the Bible and the various theological sources I use to prepare my Sunday morning services.

Actually, having noted that I haven’t posted a catch-up list of this sort since way back in June, I give my apologies for laying out such a lengthy post. I’ll try to keep shorter accounts in the future. Also, please note that in the following list, I print in bold type those books I found especially enjoyable and which I would recommend to others.

Among the entertainment reading of an evening, there have been Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton, Nuremberg: The Reckoning by William F. Buckley, Ashenden by W. Somerset Maugham, The Dogs of Snoqualmie by Calvin Miller, Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara, The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey, Ulysses S Grant: Soldier & President by Geoffrey Perret, The Dark Frigate by Charles Boardman Hawes, The Golden Salamander by Victor Canning, N or M? by Agatha Christie, Maddon’s Rock by Hammond Innes, and Message from Malaga by Helen MacInnes.

I also re-read (with gusto) the whole series of Horatio Hornblower sea adventures by C. S. Forester.

Also in this nighttime entertainment category are a score of re-reads by the likes of Leslie Charteris and Erle Stanley Gardner.

During our vacation in Branson, I read with great delight The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I also read the third book in the series (Mockingjay) but found it dull, long-winded, and quite unworthy of the first two.

Christmas-oriented reading during November and December included The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson, The Twenty-four Days before Christmas by Madeleine L’Engle, The Father Christmas Letters by J.R.R. Tolkien, Sunday Morning Memories by Don Reid, You Know It’s Christmas When…by Don Reid with Debo Reid and Langdon Reid, and Good Tidings of Great Joy by Sarah Palin.

Claire downloaded several books onto our cheap Kindle and though I’m still not very fond of reading books this way, I can certainly handle it when the books are free! And all of these were. They can be found through Project Gutenberg.

These books were Knight Without Armour by James Hilton, With the Night Mail by Rudyard Kipling, Elusive Isabel by Jacques Futrelle, Black Cargo by J.P. Marquand, Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym by Rudyard Kipling, Michael Strogoff (aka The Courier of the Czar) by Jules Verne, and The Crater by James Fenimore Cooper.

Then there were the books appointed for the Notting Hill Napoleons, our infamous literary club of over 22 years standing. A couple of those I've already mentioned but there were also Country Of The Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, The Bridges at Toko-Ri by James Michener, and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. (The last two were re-reads.)

Books I’m still "in process" with are Lincoln Unbound by Rich Lowry, The Heart of Prayer by Jarram Barrs, and a few re-reads, Heaven by Randy Alcorn, and the Chronicles of Narnia series by. C.S. Lewis.